Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Tuesday 12 February 2019

Paris life

Monday, February 12th., Rue de Calais, Paris.

I called at a bureau de tabac this morning to buy a box of Mexican cigars, and was told that the state was out of stock of them, and would not have any more ready until next month. A good example of State management. The same thing happened with Jupiter matches a few months ago.

I have been having difficulties with the tenants overhead, through the medium of the concierge, apropos of pattering about in boots on uncarpeted floors. The concierge listens attentively, but I don't think she takes any action on my behalf. I imagine that, once out of my sight, she simply shrugs her shoulders in a characteristically gallic way and forgets all about it. I asked what the monsieur was by profession, and was told that he was the manager of a large business office, and that he sang at the Opera (presumably in the chorus) three times a week. This seemed to me to be very Parisian. I suppose I should take the matter up directly but am inhibited by a native diffidence. Also my French, though much improved, degenerates when I am under pressure so I don't think I could carry off an interview satisfactorily should it become a matter of dispute. Nothing is simple.

However, cigars and noise are really minor irritants which I should not allow to bother me. The main thing is to be living in Paris, this 'city of sin', as an independent person rising in his chosen profession. Perhaps I need a regular 'companion' to help improve my French and educate me in a few other things at the same time. Shouldn't be too hard to arrange. I must consult one of my Parisian men-of-the-world friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment