Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Saturday 16 February 2019

In the woods

Tuesday, February 16th., Hotel Belvedere, Vevey.

Up in the woods. Long snow path. Greenish-brown-black colour of wood cut and uncut coming often in the distance, or rather flaming out with a spark or spot of ochreish raw wood - the end of a fresh cut log. Immense amount of wood-cutting on the mountainside. All the upward paths lead up to and stop at either a farm or a wood-cutting place. The paths seldom join each other. They are nearly all blind. But this morning in a snowstorm I found a path that led clear over the top of the mountain to the southern slope; a long way. It stopped at a wood-cutting place, or diminished rather to a track of a dog's feet, which went under a hedge and reappeared on the other side. But the slope was too steep for me to follow. I could see Attalens. So I had to turn back. Clouds broke and then strong sunshine.

Yesterday I finished three quarters of "Denry the Audacious". I think that in book form I shall call it "The Card". Good honest everyday work, vitiated by my constant thought of a magazine public. Is Denry Machin a credible character? My feeling, looking back, is that he has become somewhat more of a caricature as the novel has progressed. In a way the novel has become increasingly plot driven rather than character driven and I feel as if Denry has 'gotten away' from me. Not that it really matters. It's a comic novel, not highbrow literature. Mr. Polly isn't 'real' either - but what a creation! 

No comments:

Post a Comment