Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Wednesday 10 October 2012

H.G.'s boom is over

Wednesday, October 10th., Yacht Club, London.

Dined with George Whale at the N.L.C. and in his great, ugly, sitting room took what I wanted from his large collection of notes on war superstitions , for my novel. His notes were extremely interesting.
Wells came in, and slanged the Webbs as usual, and incidentally said: "My boom is over. I've had my boom. I'm yesterday." He said that in air raids he was afraid of going to pieces altogether, so if there was a balcony he stood on it. He had been through several raids at Southend. He said: I get huffy and cross, just as if - " but I can't remember his comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment