Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Thursday 22 August 2013

Autumnal morning

Thursday, August 22nd., Les Sablons, Fontainebleau.

In the night the temperature fell to 15 degrees Centigrade (59 Fahrenheit), in my bedroom. I went out for a walk at 9 a.m. It seemed like autumn, with a mild cloudiness, and damp, clasping cold. And everything seemed very beautiful and strange. I thought what a pity it would be if I could not spend the autumn in the country. I walked by little field-paths about the village 'allotments', where one or two men and women were working and a dog pointing. I went far enough to see the view of Moret, and then returned, calling at the barber's. "Fait froid", said the barber, rubbing his hands.

Play progressing well. I said today that my health had become so disconcertingly good that I felt as if I ought to go and see a doctor about it. 

Additionally for August 22nd., see 'Welcomed at the Grange' - http://earnoldbennett.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/welcomed-at-grange.html

No comments:

Post a Comment