Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Wednesday 14 August 2013

On vacation

Tuesday, August 14th., Cadogan Square, London.

Le Hotel Grand, Le Touquet
We left the Grand Hotel, Le Touquet, at 9.55 and reached No. 75 at 3.45 p.m. Comfortable journey throughout. The purser fellow on the boat got us through the Customs without examination and saw to all other arrangements. All because I gave him an autographed book. I daren't give him a tip. Infant in perfect form and a very good traveller. Immediately on arrival I set to work to clear up things, and before I went to bed had done four hours' concentrated work. Also I had searched Bible and Shakespere concordances for a title for the play.

Virginia, Dorothy and me on the sands
We have been in Le Touquet since the end of June, though I had to go up to London twice during that time. The Swinnertons were with us for some of the time. Generally behaved like the holidaymakers we were: on the beach; day at the races; a bit of gambling (I won); some sight-seeing. I managed quite a lot of reading, but nothing stands out, and of course I had my Evening Standard articles to do. What I have enjoyed most is lounging about in my dressing-gown after breakfast, smoking a cigar, talking to Dorothy and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment