Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Monday 12 February 2018

Ideas needed

Monday, February 12th., Hotel Savoy, Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy.

Woke to a clear blue sky and a hard frost. Perfect day for a good walk and I seized the opportunity. Out just after 9 o'clock. Invigorating chill in the air. I noticed the satisfying crunch of the frost-frozen mud as I put my weight into each step. And no adhesion to the sole of the boot. In fact my boots were cleaner when I got back than when I set off. A good long walk is just the thing for someone of a thoughtful disposition. I suppose some would say that it was a waste of valuable working time, and I might myself in my younger days. But not now. There is nothing like a solitary walk in the countryside for getting ideas. And one really good idea is worth any amount of time labouring with second class ideas at the desk.

I wish I had more knowledge about nature and the countryside. Of course it's not important to be able to name birds and animals, the thing is to enjoy them 'in the moment' as it were. But there is a stubborn part of me that wants to know what they are. My knowledge is abysmal! It occurred to me today that I don't even know what the difference is between moss and lichen. Why does one grow where it does and not the other? And birds ... I saw a bird of prey swooping and diving over a field, obviously hunting. I don't think it was a kestrel but what was it? A bit depressed by my ignorance, but content overall. Especially as I had a grand sleep this afternoon.

I want to write one more article for the Evening Standard before we leave here; but I don't seem to be able to get any leading idea for it, except that of slating one or two of my young friends, such as William Gerhardi. I did get the first inkling of an idea this morning, something about the 'reforming' inclinations of our imaginative writers, like Wells and Huxley, but it needs development.

I read a lot more of Castellane's "Memoirs". There are still very good things in it, though some pages are tedious and even absurd. And all the criticisms of his wife are a mistake. After all he lived with her for twelve years and had two children by her. When you have done that you ought to leave a woman alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment