Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Friday 23 February 2018

Being busy

Saturday, February 23rd., Cadogan Square, London.

Image result for faust Old Vic 1924Last night, Goethe's "Faust" at the Old Vic. Translated by Graham and Tristran Rawson. Nearly in full; only a few scened shortened. 25 scenes. Elaborate. Rough. Orchestra of about 25, choruses off etc. From the start you had an impression of grandeur in the 'spring for flight' of the work. It got a bit tedious in the middle, but was going very strong when I left at 11 pm.

George Hayes Picture
George Hayes
Theatre people came into our box with visitors book for me to sign. We had box 8. Box 7 can only be enetered through box 8. The underground lavatory down ruined steps between ancient walls very picturesque and primitive. Reminiscent of primitive continental lavatories. In fact comic. Large-ish audience. Very quick to laugh at the right points, and not to giggle, which ridiculously and childishly exaggerated sense of the ridiculous is the curse of West End audiences. Ian S. forgot his lines as Faust, but was good. Hayes as the devil very good. Jane Bacon fair as Marguerite. This was the second performance. 

 I am exceptionally busy at the moment. I have written on Proust and corrected all the proofs of "How to Make the Best of Life". Also given two dinner parties in this house and am about to give three more. My health has improved somewhat and my sleep astonishingly by means of exercises. And I am a shade thinner. I have paid my income tax, arranged for next year's yachting and engaged a rather pretty housemaid. The bachelor lifestyle is suiting me well.

No comments:

Post a Comment