Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Sunday 18 February 2018

Progress

Thursday, February 18th., Hotel Miramare, Genoa.

Image result for Genoa hotel miramar
Hotel Miramare
We didn't go out at all until 3.30 pm., but I had done a lot of thinking about my new novel. I think I shall call it "The Vanguard". We drove along the sea front, and then back into town by the Via XX Settembre. By this time I was dying to write Chapter III, so I continued to drive home while Dorothy walked. I began to write at 5 pm. and at 7.30 had written the chapter - 1200 words. All my chapters are going to be short in future. I was glad to get some time on my own, and probably Dorothy was too. Being a couple is all very well but I start to feel claustrophobic after a few days of close confinement.
Image result for genoa "Via XX Settembre"

I started reading "Pilgrim's Progress" yesterday and thought it promised well, but not so sanguine today. So far it is too full of minute 'similitudes' which are tedious. I doubt whether I shall finish it. What a prig Bunyan must have been - dry and dessicated one would imagine!

The question is: Do children read it all? Or do they skip the morality and theology for the more active parts? I doubt whether the book is holding its own in the public esteem today. How did it get to be such a well-known book in the first place? I can only attribute its prominence to the insidious effect of church propaganda. I don't imagine any child ever 'got' its message directly but it was pressed into the immature intelligence by repitition and adult influence. I think it is an example of abuse of adult power. No child should be exposed to religious propaganda until he or she is old enough (adult) to make a sensible personal assessment of what is being pushed onto them. That would finish all the major religions in fairly short order.

No comments:

Post a Comment