Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Thursday 15 February 2018

Getting older

Tuesday, February 15th., Fulham Park Gardens, London.

The preoccupation of moving to a new house is now almost over, and after three days of incessant manual work, arranging books, clothes, furniture and pictures, I have time to recognise that I am a householder for the first time. I find myself wandering without aim through the house, staring at finished rooms, and especially at the terra-cotta effects of my new study, with a vague satisfaction. But stronger, more insistent than this satisfaction, is the feeling of graver and more complicated responsibilities, and a sort of anxiety for the future. I feel as if I am just becoming adult, and I am not sure that I like it.

And I wonder, at the age of thirty  whether the great game is worth the candle. I return with regretful fancy to the time when, with lighter cares and the highest hopes that ignorance could induce, I lived in Cowley Street, and in Raphael Street, on about 15s. a week. And was happy.

Tonight I have set to work on a long criticism of George Moore.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment