Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Tuesday 27 February 2018

Trouble in paradise

Saturday, February 27th., Winter Palace, Menton.

Image result for winter palace mentonReflected in garden for 40 minutes after I was dressed. I sat in the sun without moving and yet I perspired. Lot to think about at the moment. There is the business of Richard's engagement for a start. I have written to his 'intended' and invited her to stay at Cadogan Square. Haven't met her yet. Looks pretty. Mostly on my mind though is Sep's illness. Latest from Tertia gives me the impression it is just a matter of time. Here am I, literally sunning myself on the Riviera, and he is dying in a nursing home in North Wales. But I can't simply abandon Dorothy in her condition, and what could I do if I went there? I could write to Sep, but it seems so impersonal, and what could I say? Some admission for me to be lost for words!

Image result for "La Turbie" monaco postcardsAt noon we started to drive over to La Turbie to lunch with Max and Gladys Beaverbrook. Magnificent drive along the Grande Corniche. It was a good luncheon party in strong sunshine with a tang in the air. As well as the Beaverbrooks there was William Gerhardi and a fellow named Mayhew (with a most singular overcoat) on the staff of the Chicago Tribune. Max was restless, but that is normal. Gladys was delightful. Gerhardi in better form than usual. Gerhardi had met Rothermere last night at dinner for the first time. Max asked him what he thought of him. Gerhardi side-splittingly replied: "I think he has a sweet nature". Max roared himself red in the face.

Max asked me how much I would take for the film rights of "The Pretty Lady". I said I had got £2000  for "Sacred and Profane Love". He said he would pay this if he produced the film. I hope to god he will as I could do with the money!

No comments:

Post a Comment