Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Wednesday 21 February 2018

Performances

Sunday, February 21st., Rue de Calais, Paris.

Image result for ambigu paris nanaLast night "Nana", drama in five acts drawn by William Busnach from Zola's novel, at the Ambigu. First produced at the Ambigu in 1881. Cassive in the title role. A thoroughly rotten and cruel melodrama, interspersed with 'comic relief' of the most footling sort. Yet it made one think of the book. And my admiration for the book leapt out again into a flame. It is not one of the greatest books, but it is superlatively done, a tremendous achievement of colossal and distinguished labour. I think only another author can appreciate the scale of the achievement. How Zola must have felt when he wrote the last lines.

I drank some tea at midnight. And, reaching home, found a telegram from Harrison of the Haymarket, saying that Lewis Waller wanted a play, and might he see "The Chancellor"? The tea and the telegram prevented me from sleeping. God knows why.

This afternoon, Lamoreux concert to hear, chiefly, Richard Strauss's "Life of a Hero". It came at the end of an exhausting programme, but I was much impressed by its beauty. I heard it under difficulties for the audience became restive, talked and protested. One old man insisted on going out. There is a rule about not entering or leaving during a piece, but this old man cried so loud and shook the doors so that the pompiers were obliged to let him through. Applause and hisses at the end from a full audience. One more exhibition of the betise of an audience when confronted by something fresh, extravagant and powerful. It would be absurd to condemn this or any other particular audience, for all audiences are alike. The sarcastic and bitter opposition must be taken as a tribute to the power of the art. Was not "Tannhauser" simply laughed off the stage at the first performance? I liked the piece better than I thought I should - a great deal. The first thing of Richard Strauss that I have heard.

I am rather solitary at the moment which is good for work but not for my nerves. I could do with a little more society, especially female society. Time spent with a 'sympathetic' woman would do me a lot of good. 12,500 words written this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment