Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Monday 25 September 2017

At Moret

 Saturday, September 25th., Villa des Nefliers

Image result for moret franceI went to Moret again this afternoon with the others. Exactly the same weather and conditions as on Thursday. I searched all the river from St Mammes to Moret for a subject, and couldn't settle on a good one. Then I began to sketch an old man in a punt fishing. Blackish brown rats (not very big) kept coming up out of the bank to drag away at a large crust of bread that someone had tied to a string by a chain. Half tame. Not being able to carry off the bread they would nibble and eat off it insitu.

 We saw a wedding procession preceded by three musicians - a fiddler, a silver instrument and another. Working people. men in silk hats and short semi-frock-coats. the men had obviously drunk about as much as they could manage. Only one or two girls in white - the bride and another. perhaps 30 people altogether, including quite young ones, aged 15 or so. Bride about 25 or 26, certainly not a virgin - so much was obvious!

Image result for french wedding processions villages musicians  As the procession approached the town the musicians began to play, and some of the people danced along. One couple stayed lingering behind, the man ran behind a tree while his girl waited for him; then he rejoined her and they walked on slowly after the procession - call of nature I expect; the French are rather more relaxed about theses things! nearly all the people had a brutish and very stupid look. In towns only as big as Fontainebleau, these marriage processions have ceased to occur, but they continue in villages.

Bad sleeping for a week or two. I waste 2 or 3 hours a night in useless bed. So I am trying to stay up later. This morning I didn't sleep after 4.30. I got up at 6.15. i went out at 8 to think about my play, and returned at 10, having done two hours walking in hot sunshine, and two hours thinking. And I was exhausted for the day. I could easily have gone to sleep before lunch. I notice that I almost always sleep more soundly when I have had a good, brisk walk during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment