Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Sunday 24 September 2017

Ideologies

Monday, September 24th., Yacht Club, London.

I worked till 3.30 pm and then, seeing I could do more writing, and could reflect just as well in the train, I came up to town so as to save half a day tomorrow. I was unwell and without energy all day. Nevertheless, I worked satisfactorily in the train. Then air raid. How phlegmatic we have become about them!

I had a great subject for a watercolour on Saturday. I put my enceinte French-renaissance virgin (white) and the black juju that Molly Green brought from Nigeria for Marguerite, side by side, and called the picture "The Gods". A fine composition and a real subject. I started the sketch but couldn't finish it in time. However the subject will keep and I definitely will finish it. I might think of another title.

Marguerite also came to town this afternoon, but we travelled separately. We are barely on speaking terms at the moment, all to do with her ridiculous idea to have Richard change his name to mine. I told her plainly in writing that it was an outrage to desire the boy to do a public act which she knew, if she took the time and trouble to think, would cause him and me intense pain and annoyance. I have tried hard to be a decent husband and have, I think, put up with a lot of bother that other men would not have stood for. I wonder if the war has had an effect in the sense that she has been thrown more on her own devices, has had time to brood, and has become fixated on silly ideas of one sort or another. Only a week ago she altered the arrangements for the announcement of dinner without consulting me at all; needless to say they are now altered back. I will not have my routines disturbed to accommodate her whims. We may end in the divorce courts!


No comments:

Post a Comment