Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Thursday 30 January 2020

A bookman's day

Tuesday, January 30th., Rue de Calais, Paris.

Paris - Bouquinistes, quai des Grands Augustins, dans le ...Slept well. Six and a half hours sleep undisturbed. Felt exceptionally well in consequence. I went down, partly on foot and partly by omnibus, to the Quai des Grands Augustins. It was a perfect morning. I had the itch to buy a book or two and I gave way to it. There is nothing in the world to compare with the pleasure of browsing for and buying books when one has plenty of time, a carefree soul, and a sufficiency of spare cash. Just the thought of it makes me feel better.

I bought, on the Quai, the two "Cardinal" books of Halevy, a Moliere in two volumes (Didot), Jouast's edition of "Le Mariage de Figaro", and Albert Wolff's "Memoires de Boulevard". The whole lot bound in various calfs for twelve and a half francs. I lunched frugally in a corner at Laperouse's. I read Wolff coming home in the omnibusand in my reading armchair when I got back "Madame Cardinal". The former is amusing, the latter a masterpiece. I felt I had thoroughly enjoyed myself.

I had also collected my ideas, by the way as it were, for the second instalment of the serial, and between 3.30 and 4.30 I wrote 500 words of it.

More reading this evening and the pleasure of re-arranging my bookshelves to accommodate the new purchases. Altogether something approaching a perfect bookman's day.

No comments:

Post a Comment