Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Friday 24 January 2020

Finishing things

Tuesday, January 24th., Fulham Park Gardens, London.

Last night I finished my sensational novel, "The Curse of Love", fifty thousand words in exactly three months, with all my other work.The writing of it has enormously increased my facility, and I believe that now I could do a similar novel in a month. It is, of the kind, good stuff, well written and well contrived, and some of the later chapters are eally imagined and, in a way, lyrical. I found the business, after I had got fairly into it, easy enough, and I rather enjoyed it. I could comfortably write two and a half thousand words in half a day. It has only been written once, and on revision I have scarcely touched the original draft. Now I want to do two sensational short stories - and then to my big novel.

I was thnking in the night, in that reflective state that comes after a job is finished, that this time next year we shall be in a new century, and I shall be thirty three years old, and will I be fairly launched on my new career? Sometimes I feel confident, as if nothing can prevent me, sort of 'fated'. And at others (usually after a little too much to eat and drink) I am full of misgivings. Writing is a compulsion. I must write, as others must paint, or play music, but is it wise to make it the essential core of my life? And writing is a damned lonely business I find. In some ways my job as editor of Woman suits me, though I am always complaining about it. I write a good deal, concealed behind various pseudonyms, and yet have a regular routine and an income. Surely the role could be developed further and I might go on to edit bigger and better periodicals, or even newspapers. That would be the sensible course to follow. I think it is what my father would want me to do.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment