Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Thursday 9 January 2020

Bookmen

Monday, January 9th., Cadogan Square, London.

The Crosby Gaiges came for tea. I took Gaige into my study and showed him some MSS. and other things. He asked me whether I ever thought of selling my MSS. He said that if I ever did he would like to have the offer of them. I said they would be very dear. He said he might be in funds. I found the MS. (bound) of "The Muscovy Ducks" among a lot of Staffordshire books, where it certainly ought not to have been. So, on impulse, I gave it to him. 

He has a considerable library himself I understand, and was much taken with two recent 'finds' of mine. Firstly two volumes of Lyell's "Principles of Geology" from 1860, and in good condition. Many pages uncut. I am intending to read in it when I have time. More especially a copy of John Lloyd Stephens' "Incidents of Travel in Central America etc.", also in two volumes from 1842. This was something of a coup of mine because I noticed when browsing on the bookstall (Clerkenwell) that the second volume had an owner's stamp which was absent from volume one - and it was for I K Brunel, the great engineer. So I bought it. I wanted a copy anyway. The seller was happy, and so was I. Gaige was a little envious.

He is an interesting and colourful character. Apparently he adopted the name Crosby, and with it a whole Revolutionary War ancestry. His money has been made producing Broadway hits and he has recently gone into publishing. He tells me that he has a press in a huge barn at home where he sets and prints fine editions. I would like to see it. Decidedly an American.

After discussing it with Dorothy I decided to make over to her all the rights in my performed plays - reserving those not performed. And when we got home at about 10.40 I at once wrote a letter to Geoffrey Russell on this great subject, giving instructions and asking advice. This may save some trouble in the future regarding Marguerite should I pre-decease her.

Thinking further about the "Incidents of Travel" I am inclined to think that they are not in fact an original pair. If they were and had been bought as such by Brunel then surely his owner's stamp would be in both? There is a hand-written inclusion on the inside cover of Volume 1 which is not decipherable except that the date is March 27th., 1842. My feeling is that the original Volume 1 was lost and was replaced by an identical volume from another set. In 1842 Brunel was much engaged in the building of the SS Great Britain and I am enjoying a speculation that he may have been reading the original Volume 1 whilst travelling, and it was subsequently lost, eventually to be replaced to complete the set.

No comments:

Post a Comment