Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Sunday 5 January 2020

Farting fiction

Sunday, January 5th., Fulham Park Gardens, London.

In the time-honoured manner, since New Year, I have been taking stock of my life and career at age thirty two.

I worked prodigiously for the last three months of last year - 96,000 words in total and I was a week in Brussels; so well over 1,000 words a day, including Sundays. I completed several short stories, a huge mass of criticism and 35,000 words of a sensational serial. I began the serial partly because I had a notion that  my position, commercially, was not founded on a rock as it should be, and partly because I didn't see why I shouldn't write as good exciting fiction as anyone else.

This house costs a hell of a lot to keep going in a generous way as I like, and although I am actually earning ample for all purposes, my desire is to earn enough apart from my editorial salary. I am sick of editing Woman and of being bound to go to a blasted office every day. I want to work when I feel inclined and to travel more. I saw only one way of freeing myself from official ties, namely fiction. If other people can hit the popular taste and live on magazine and newspaper fiction, them why not me? It's not literature I know but it is better fun than going to an office and editing a ladies' paper, and should pay better. And the literature can come later.

I began the serial towards the end of October and swore to myself to do one instalment a week, though I nearly killed myself at first to keep my oath. However, after the fourth instalment (17,000 words in a month) I seemed suddenly to conquer the trick of the thing. There has been an immense increase in my facility, not only for rotten but for decent stuff. I believe I could fart sensational fiction now! Several times I have sat down at 4 pm. and done 3,000 words in the day - not to be sniffed at.

I have thoughts of sticking to the sensational stuff and blow the literary reputation but I know I won't. I am dying to get on with my Five Towns novel, which lately in my mind has assumed a larger and more epical aspect as if it has acquired a sort of independent life. I do believe it will be decent. With my newly acquired facility I fancy I could write that novel in six months and put my best work into it. It will certainly be immensely superior to "A Man from the North".

No comments:

Post a Comment