Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Wednesday 1 January 2020

Playing politics

Saturday, January 1st., Royal York Hotel, Brighton.

We came here from London today, having been in the Potteries for two weeks over Xmas. I intend to write my next Five Towns novel, "Clayhanger", here and had been gathering all the information I needed in Burslem, mainly from Joseph Dawson. 

Hotel Video Reviews and Bookings Worldwide - Online ...Our first stroll along the front impressed me very favourably this afternoon. But I am obsessed by the thought that all this comfort, luxury, ostentation, snobbishness and correctness, is founded on a vast injustice to the artisan-class. I can never get away from this. The furs, autos, fine food, attendance, and diamond rings of this hotel only impress it on me more. I might have Edwin Clayhanger, the main character in my new book, come here and contrast in his own mind, as I am doing, this place and Burslem.

I left behind me in Burslem a sort of political manifesto. It came about when I was in Dawson's printing office acquiring stuff for "Clayhanger". Edmund Leigh called, and he orated for an hour with such persuasive effect that in the end I vounteered to write a personal manifesto, as a sort of exercise in thinking things through. I wrote it easily and read it out to them, to great effect, a few days later. The printing of it was put in hand instantly but it hadn't been finished when I came away so I have no copy to hand. Dawson is as remarkable as ever. He is as young at sixty as I am at forty. He told me once that he could never read Tennyson's "Idylls of the King" without tears coming into his eyes. Fancy that for a hard-nosed Potteries tradesman!

The main points were:
1) A written constitution is essential as the basis for law;
2) There should be an elected Head of State; there can be no justification in the 20th. century for an hereditary system;
3) Universal suffrage;
4) Elections by proportional representation; the present 'first past the post' system is undemocratic and tends towards unnecessarily violent swings in policy;
5) End of patronage, privilege and titles, and the House of Lords; how ludicrous they seem, 'Lord' this, 'Lady' that, 'Duke and Duchess' the other, like persons in a comic opera;
6) Universal education to age 16, and abolition of the so-called 'Public' schools;
7) Entrance to universities by merit in competitive examination, not by grace and favour;
8) Disestablishment of the Church of England;
9) A national insurance scheme funded from taxation to provide basic health care and retirement for all.

There was more but these were the main items. It occurs to me as I write them here that when the document is printed it may spontaneously combust. Or if not it is likely to produce conflagration in those who read it.



No comments:

Post a Comment