Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Friday 30 November 2018

Resolutions

Friday, November 30th., 12b George Street, London.

I have been lecturing my nephew Richard, by letter, on the evils of drink. His father is an alcoholic and I noticed on a recent visit that Richard is drinking more than is good for him. There is a tendency to alcoholism in the family. No doubt he will simply consign my suggestion to the waste paper basket but I felt impelled to try. I used the example of my old friend Shufflebotham, who Richard has met. He comes here sometimes to see me and I press him to swear that he will henceforth abstain, but within an hour he is creeping out to get a drink somewhere thinking I am deceived. I am not deceived. It is pathetic, tragic. No victim of alcohol ever suspects that he is a victim until it is too late.

I have now definitely commited  myself to take 75 Cadogan Square. It is rather large for a 'single' man but stylish and comfortable, and I can afford it.  It is not so central as this but it is the best I could get. There were no flats that would suit me.  It is a large house and I am subletting the top floor (four small rooms) to my secretary Miss Nerney and her mother. It is an immense advantage to have your secretary on the spot. There are two staircases. I shall still have three floors and a basement to myself. I shall leave here at or about Christmas, but Christmas itself I am spending with the Wells's.

I have embarked on a new morning regime in anticipation of this change of life. I do all my serious toil first, ie. I put on my jaeger suit and do nothing else. I do not wash, shave, clean teeth, bathe, dress or anything! By 11.30 (three and a half hours) my serious toil is accomplished, and I am free for oddments for the rest of the day. I can do more like this, and easier and better. true, I am not really dressed until 12.30 but I see no correspondence nor receive any messages until work is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment