Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Wednesday 20 November 2019

A fine retort

Wednesday, November 20th., Les Sablons.

628 e8 de octave mirbeau, Ancien ou d'occasion - AbeBooksI have had several days of hesitation about this, the eighth volume of my journal. I thought, and still think, it too small for really fast writing , and I can only arrive at getting down my impressions in full by writing fast - pell-mell, with out regard to sentence construction. There is the dilemma: I like to write correctly, grammatically, to produce an appealing finished version; 'tossing-off' ideas in note form goes against my grain. What to do? Mirbeau's book "628-E8" has shown me, again, what a lot of stuff, perhaps as valuable as his, I lose by not writing it down. I have made, in the last three days, three fullish sketches that I may use later, and that certainly would have been lost if I had not seized them and held them.

A fine retort. Mrs Deveraux told me how a pressing lover responded to a refusing mistress. "Bah!" she said. "With people like you, love means only one thing." "No," he replied. "It means twenty things, but it doesn't mean nineteen." Marvellous.

No comments:

Post a Comment