Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Friday 15 November 2019

Scandalous

Friday, November 15th., Yacht Club, London.

My resignation from Ministry took effect yesterday. Buchan, the liquidator, came down to see me and was very explanatory and apologetic. The behaviour of the Cabinet to me was of course scandalous. But they have treated many others similarly so I was not surprised. The only notice I got was a Roneo'd copy of the War Cabinet minute. I was never consulted in any way. Well, that is another, and most unexpected, phase of life behind me. It will be a relief to resume my normal working habits. The only negative is that I will have no further reason to keep these rooms at the Yacht Club, and I have enjoyed my 'bachelor' status while it lasted; back to being a full-time married man.

Robert Donald - Wikipedia
Sir Robert Donald
Luncheon to Robert Donald at Connaught Rooms. 400 there to honour him because he had not sold himself to the new proprietors of the Chronicle, a consortium centred on Lloyd George. He says that Ll G. is "trying to corner public opinion". The toastmaster in a red coat was the cream of the show. He had a terrifically bland manner, especially with his supplicating hands. And having prayed silence for toast of King he rushed madly right round the room and played "God Save the King" on the piano.

At night, dinner to American editors of Trade Journals at the Savoy. Smuts in the chair. Nothing special except that Smuts claimed some German colonies for British dependencies. I doubt the wisdom of that policy. It is one thing to defeat an enemy; it is another to humiliate him and thereby sow the seeds of future resentment.

No comments:

Post a Comment