Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Sunday 10 November 2019

A well married man

Sunday, November 11th., Les Sablons.

I have been persuaded back into journalism again, but not as a reviewer. I see myself now as a sort of moralist for the people. It is a strange role but I find that I am a most serious man at bottom. And though I can't for the life of me see what is the objection to sodomy (vide recent German trial) I seem to be getting more and more earnest every day. 

By the end of this year I shall jolly nearly have written 365,000 words, and most of them good words. My new novel is a long one about two sisters from the Five Towns who lead very different lives but come together again in old age; it is really about the romance of life, wherever it is lived. It is a prodigious canvas. It would be daunting were I not in such splendid health and form.

The Arnold Bennett Blog: April 2013The most curious thing that has happened to me is that I have practically lost all my ambitions except the ambition to be allowed to work quietly. This remarkable phenomenon coincides with my marriage, and I think one component of the change is to do with sexual contentment. I have been frankly surprised to find that the sexual act with a woman you love is both satisfying and perpetually improving. I think it is to do with mutual confidence. It is also to do with being free from external stressors. I can make all the money I want and need; and as for other things that are necessary to philosophic calm, I have them. I have always said that I only lived in the capital because I couldn't stand the country alone by myself. Now that I am no longer alone, you don't catch me living any more in Paris.

We are going to England in December. Marriott announces that he is going to give a grandiose musical evening on December 14th. in our honour. Marguerite's English will certainly amuse England. I don't know what they will make of her in Burslem when we get there for Christmas. I feel as if I had always been married. I can't imagine myself not married. It suits me profoundly and I never did so much work in the time as I have done since my marriage


No comments:

Post a Comment