Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Saturday 2 November 2019

Suffragettes

Saturday, November 2nd., Comarques, Thorpe-le-Soken.

787 best Woman Suffrage PRO & CON - Bad Girls images on ...In Town yesterday I found myself on the fringes of a suffragette "outrage". Strolling along Regent Street, gathering ideas, paying no particular attention to my surroundings. Suddenly I became aware of a woman ten or fifteen yards away, standing quite still at the edge of the pavement which was moderately crowded with shoppers; pale, meagre sort of woman, wisps of light hair emerging from a small dark hat; dark clothes, rather dowdy and not well-to-do. What caught my attention most was the look on her face, a half-smile or more nearly a half-snarl. Then she opened her bag, took something from it, and hurled it through the adjacent shop window. Just like that. As if the sound of breaking glass were a signal, which I suppose it was, along the street (ahead of and behind me) there were similar sounds of shattering and shouts of "Votes for Women". All done so quickly that I just stood there, mouth agape no doubt. Their job done the women disappeared individually into the crowds, to avoid being seized by the police I expect. Disciplined and effective. I am full of admiration for these women who risk imprisonment and social sanction. Would I have the courage to act in an important cause I believed in? I doubt it.

This was my first experience of suffragettes in action and reflecting on it later on the train I was reinforced in my view that miltant acts are justified and necessary. In fact I consider that more will be needed before progress is made. I cannot see the present parliament extending the franchise. What is really needed is a martyr. This might be a woman who dies whilst being "force-fed" (an absolutely barbaric practice), but better would be a public death in the course of a militant act. Of course I regret that anyone should die, but I doubt that anything less will bring this matter to a climax. No doubt there will be much chuntering about suffragette action inconveniencing ordinary people going about their business; ordinary people who see no further than the end of their noses and accept the status quo. They probably vote (if they are men) Tory. Enough said!

No comments:

Post a Comment