Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Saturday 30 November 2019

French praise

Saturday, November 30th., George Street, London.

So Many Ways to Be Gay: Nihilism and André Gide | Filthy ...
Andre Gide
Andre Gide has written me a most charming and complimentary letter. It has given me the greatest satisfaction. I have always had the idea that French critics must regard English fiction as rather barbaric, lacking in finesse and in civilised breadth. In brief an imperfect attitude to life. I have written back that no appreciation that I have ever received has given me such pleasure, not even that of Joseph Conrad, who is an oriental and gives praise like one.

Gide has the idea that I have developed a new 'manner', and perhaps he is right. There were symptoms of it I think in "The Pretty Lady", but it is not emerging in my new book which is a light one. After writing sixty books one cannot change one's manner I find simply by taking thought. However, I feel encouraged to be more experimental, less circumspect, more challenging.

My film is progressing. As a first effort in this new medium I don't expect much of it, but when I have broken down the outer-defences of 'the trade' I hope to do something better. In France, Manoire's transalations of my books appear to be doing well. Most recently "Clayhanger". The firm of Bernard Grasset is to publish several. I understand that "These Twain" is to appear in the Revue de Paris, no doubt with the usual terrible cuts, but it may enhance my reputation and increase sales of the books. "The Price of Love" is to appear in a thing called La Revue de la Semaine of which I have never heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment