Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Thursday 28 November 2019

Depression

Friday, November 28th., Cadogan Square, London.

I am now in a state of much desperation. Perhaps I oughtn't to have finished "Dance Club". Still it is finished. Anyhow the reaction after writing it has been too much for me. Two bad nights; last night awful; depression, indigestion; the usual phenomena after a 'work'. But "Prohack" tortures me all the time. I worked hard at it yesterday and nearly all that I did was no good. I hoped for better today; and lo! in the night from 2.50 onwards I watch the hours go by; get up, smoke, drink, do exercises at intervals. No sleep; and I watch also the hope of a day's work gradually destroyed. Looks as if I will not be able to work today, and every day is precious. I feel harried to death in a triangle of which the sides are fulfilling my engagement to Knoblock, fulfilling my engagement to Dorothy, and my financial worry. I can't see a way forward but know that a good night's sleep would work wonders.

Every hour of the day-time is precious, or seems so, and I have cut out all social things from all afternoons. People who must see me have to come to lunch and leave at 2 pm. I feel sometimes just as if I should go off my head and I remember that at exactly my present age my father's brain gave way. I know that I am getting near the end of my mental and physical resources. I have had a terrible autumn and I daresay that I am perhaps not quite so much of a stoic as I think myself, or am thought to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment