Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Tuesday 11 December 2018

Aiming high

Friday, December 11th., Rue de Calais, Paris.

Yesterday I worked from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m., chiefly on "A Great Man". I was exhausted, but also satisfied. I have been rather gloomy of late, seeing little prospect of improving my situation, but if this novel continues in the present vein it may just be the breakthrough I need to put my name before a wider public.

There was a long article in Le Temps on Herbert Spencer, which confirmed the view which Wells expressed to me about him in the early part of last year; namely that, as a thinker, he was 'woolly'. I must admit that I was ready to be convinced by Spencer's ideas about social evolution when I first came upon them. But I am now more sceptical. My first thought these days when presented with some idea is: "What is the evidence for it?" It seems to me now that Spencer made a leap from Darwin's theory, which is supported by evidence, and has feet of clay. I have also noticed that other lesser thinkers are latching on to Spencer's ideas to support their own theories about racial superiority. This is distasteful, and may become inflammatory.

I meant to go and see Brieux's "Robe Rouge" at the Theatre du Peuple, but as I was busy, and as they had allotted 500 seats to 'midinettes' last night, I refrained. Three plays by Brieux are being done in Paris this week: the new "Maternite" at Antoine's; "Le Berceau" at the Comedie Mondaine, and the "Robe Rouge". I am green with envy. It seems that once a playwright becomes fashionable then he can do no wrong, and his name alone is sufficient to guarantee success (at least for a while). That is what I am aiming for.

No comments:

Post a Comment