Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Thursday 20 December 2018

Making a change

Sunday, December 20th., Rue de Calais, Paris.

Yesterday I finished the second chapter of "A Great Man".

I went to Cook's in the morning and began the business of departing to England by drawing out all the money I could and getting my ticket. The clerk asked me if I was going home for Christmas and I said I was, but am I? He wished me a happy Christmas.

At night I didn't feel very hungry so I had to tempt myself with a 'nice little dinner' at Sylvain's, which cost me 6 francs. Then I came home (there's that word again!), played Beethoven's two Sonatas op. 49, perfectly charming, finished reading Le Temps all through, and went to bed at 10.30. Read in bed for half an hour or so - Golding's sea trilogy; I have just started the third part; not quite sure about it. I slept until 8.10 this morning, which is good.  

I have seen a lot of Chichi lately. We dined at the Hippo. Restaurant on Friday and then to Bostocks. The restaurant seemed to be full of dancers and ex-dancers. C. doesn't seem distressed about my going back to England. No doubt she will have other 'company' in prospect while I am away. Not sure how I feel about that. In a way I will be glad to make a change, even if only temporary. I am one of those people who, whatever their situation, are always inclined to think that they would like to move on to something else. Perhaps most people are like that, at least men, but we can't admit it.

No comments:

Post a Comment