Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Sunday 16 December 2018

Frank conversation

Thursday, December 16th., Victoria Grove, London.

At my dentist's, a strange Bohemian cockney, who called me 'mate' at the second interview and referred intimately to the missus and the kids. It seems that the misus is a lively young woman, hence the numerous kids! He didn't exactly say that she was ready for it at a moments notice, but that was the impression conveyed. The flow of talk from him was rather what one would expect from a barber than a dentist, but nevertheless he seems good at the job. Seems to enjoy it. I suppose one gets used to anything but poking about in other people's mouths for a living would certainly not suit me. Might suit somebody with sadistic inclinations!

In his own jargon he said: "I have put in two uppers and a lower today." He also told me of a curious domestic custom: "My missus", he said, "has extraction money, and toothpowder money for 'er perks." He didn't say exactly what the perks were. He sold me some toothpowder so I hope she enjoys them whatever they are. Not quite clear whether they have four or five children, but with Christmas approaching he is hoping for good business.

One of the things I like about conversation with those in trade is that they are often uninhibited in discussion of life and opinions. And they don't beat about the bush to tell you things as we in the middle classes do. It is refreshing and takes me back to my youth in the Potteries. There, you can be certain, that any opinion you are offered will be clear, concise and unadulterated. And if you don't like it, that is your problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment