Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Friday 7 December 2018

I rest my case

Friday, December 7th., Cadogan Square, London.

I have been thinking about books. Well no surprise there; my wife alleges that I think of little else! In particular I have been thinking about whether the government might usefully subsidise books. On balance I think so, but within limits. I do not mean novels, or verse, or essays, or biographies, or treatises on the loves of Napoleon, or the social eccentricities of deceased elder statesmen or living notorieties. I mean solid books of reference and research and collected learning for the advantage of scholars, autodidacts and other earnest persons.

In fairness H.M.S.O has published a few excellent books, but nothing, to my knowledge, on a large scale of general utility. Such as, for example, a Dictionary of National Biography. Now, there is a D.N.B. and it counts amongst the greatest and most interesting works of reference in the world. And yet what young man or woman of today has heard of George Murray Smith? His name is not to be found in the conciser encyclopaedias and yet he was one of the supreme benefactors of scholars and British bookmen, and through them of the British public.
George Murray Smith - Wikipedia
George Murray Smith

When he was nearing 50 he thought of the idea of a D.N.B. and he thought it into existence. It was not then remunerative, though it may be today - I know not. At least it is indispensable. Can any bookman conceive a book-world without the D.N.B.? He cannot. George Murray Smith, who was a publisher, paid for the D.N.B., but not by publishing. It was made chiefly by the exploitation of a mineral water which Smith rendered famous. An excellent mineral water; I still drink it in cistern quantities. So that we owe our D.N.B. not to governmental action to remedy an obvious deficiency, but chiefly to a table-water! That is what I term romance.

A government with a really large view of things might reorganise and enlarge the scope of H.M.S.O. which has already done, and is doing, good work. A relatively small investment would perform wonders, and thereby earn a tremendous prestige. Such an enterprise would arouse less opposition than almost any enterprise which this or any other government ever undertook. And it would have a better chance of success. It would be the sort of subsidy which gives subsidies a good name. I rest my case.

No comments:

Post a Comment