Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Saturday 8 December 2018

Self analysis

Tuesday, December 8th., Rue de Calais, Paris.

I succeeded far beyond my hopes in planning out "A Great Man" yesterday, and in making a detailed sketch of the first chapter. I was, however, and I remain, extremely dissatisfied and discontented with my general condition. I suppose I shall always be more or less like this. I cannot think of any device or policy by which I could change my condition with any prospect of improvement. I want to be free and fettered at the same time, and it cannot be done.

I often find myself daydreaming, when I am out walking and when I am settling for an afternoon nap. And more often than not the dreams are of a sexual nature. I am inclined to think there is an element of sexual frustration in my dissatisfaction. Of course I can easily satisfy my physical needs here; where better? But I feel the need for a relationship that is both sexually satisfying and emotionally fulfilling. I have vowed to marry before I am forty, and still intend to, yet I have still to meet a woman who would suit me. Perhaps one of these days I will fall in love? Strange to think that my future wife is out there somewhere; perhaps we have already passed each other in a street, or sat near each other in a restaurant. Speculations and dreams!

I read the first act of "Othello" last night and it did me good which probably goes to show that there is nothing fundamentally 'wrong' with me. Perhaps I am spending too much time observing life rather than participating in it?

No comments:

Post a Comment