Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Sunday 30 December 2018

At war

Wednesday, December 30th., Comarques, Thorpe-le-Soken.

I always feel that December 30th. is a sort of 'nothing' day. Christmas is more or less a memory, and the new year is yet to be. I want to get on with taking stock of the year just gone, and crystallising some ideas about the one I am beginning. Usually it is a time when my thoughts turn to holidays, but of course that is not the case this time; Christmas at war, and where shall we be this time next year?

Great storm on Monday night. We lost five trees. A large elm blew across the road, broke telegraph wires, and broke through the vicarage fence, and blocked the road all night. While I was out at 10.30 p.m. inspecting I heard another tree crashing and fled. An old oak fell into the pond. General devastation. Started to feel sorry for myself and neighbours, and then recollected the troops in their trenches only 100 miles or so away. That sobered me up and made me see things in perspective! How easy it is to forget temporarily the great tragedy that is unfolding in France. I can't help feeling that however long this lasts, and whatever the outcome, the world will be very different. Am I glad that I am too old to be of use militarily? Undoubtedly yes, and yet .....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment