Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Saturday 12 January 2019

Change afoot

Saturday, January 12th., Cadogan Square, London.

I went yesterday morning to a smallish second-hand furniture shop (authentic antiques) in Basil Street. A tall gentleman in charge and alone there. He apologised for a certain untidiness, and said that his partner was even more untidy than he was himself. I didn't see the partner but I guessed that there was no love lost between them. A tall man, conventionally dressed, tail coat, striped trousers. Perfect manners. Evidently a gentleman, insofar as I understand that term.

He gave a twinge and apologised in moving some furniture. We had a short discussion comparing the varieties of back pain; mine is rather 'tender' at the moment. Said his was rheumatism, caught in Bolshevist Russia. Rather implied that he held the Bolsheviks to blame. Man probably about 45 -48. Biggish nose. In moving some more furniture he let a cut-glass jug slip off a table, but I caught it as it fell. Excellent reactions for a man nearing 60.



When, eventually, I said that I should have to think over a proposed purchase as I wasn't sure if I liked it, he said eagerly: "Certainly, I should not care for you to buy anything and regret it afterwards." Just before I left a very tall young man and a biggish boy came in, and he told them to go into his office. Both stylish. "My sons," he said to me, concealing his pride. This place was a good illustration of the invasion of trade by the educated and well-bred classes.



Another instance I had the other day at Gereth's in Beauchamp Place, where the middle-aged lady boss was a most charming woman. Another is the "Cottars Market", run by Mrs. Pitt Chatham and Mrs. Playfair. All these three close together. I suppose all this tells us something about societal changes since the war. It is of a kind with the shortage of servants, and the noticeable decline in deference, and the fall-off in church attendance. All of which I believe intellectually to be good things, but I can't help feeling that the world was a better place when I was young. I suppose that is part and parcel of getting old.

No comments:

Post a Comment