Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Monday 7 January 2019

Period piece

Saturday, January 7th., Cadogan Square, London.

Theatrical Revue - Victoria and Albert Museum
Sir Charles Cochran
At Dorothy's urgent request, I went over to the Court Theatre where "Mr. Prohack" is in performance. The atmosphere was of the last night of a run, but, although no other theatre has yet been obtained, we trust it is not the last night of the run. Evelyn Cochran came round after the performance, and Charles was really enthusiastic about the play. He said he hadn't liked a play so much for years. Evelyn said she had never seen Charlie so happy in a theatre, which is certainly saying something. He also liked the acting, especially Laughton. It seemed impossible not to believe that this play, in the West End, and kept on for a bit, should not develop into a very great success. And yet, I wonder if we have not been left behind, Knoblock and I, by changing taste in drama. When I look at this play I have to admit it could have been put on ten or even twenty years ago; it seems to me now a sort of period piece. I suppose I am something of a period piece myself! 

All the packing up had to be finished in Dorothy's dressing room. More goodbyes. Sally, the dresser, is really a very nice old woman, with a voice as thin as a piece of paper. We got home at midnight. Then searchings in the larder for food for Dorothy. If I am honest, I feel too old for this sort of thing. If not for Dorothy and the child I would be leading a simpler, quieter, and more dignified life than I do. The expense of this household is staggering, but not through my extravagance. Where will it all end?

No comments:

Post a Comment