Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Friday 18 January 2019

Rattling good things

Thursday, January 18th., Hotel Californie, Cannes.

Yesterday I finished the fifth article of the Harper's series. And today I turned towards the construction of the sequel to "The Card" (I haven't decided what to title it yet) for the American Magazine. It is only between two spells of work that I can find time for unimportant correspondence, notes etc. For example I wrote declining an invitation to speak at a dinner of the Writers' Club. The invitation, from a Miss Simpson, was most flattering but that sort of thing is entirely out of my line; I consistently refuse speaking engagements though I could make money from them.

I had a letter from my cousin in the Isle of Man, and must reply to that before I get immersed in the novel. Also, she mentioned a couple of things which perplexed me and I must ask about them. She seems well and was extolling the virtues of the mild Isle of Man climate - no extremes of weather apparently. No doubt she has a point, but I would rather be in Cannes! 

My days are always full at the moment, without counting that I have hadthree abcesses, two together, as a result of a chill in December. The last one is not yet gone, quite. 

I am now in the full swing of my ordinary day: writing, reading a lot of newspapers, and several books at once. I bought Whymper's "Scrambles among the Alps", and Stendhal's "Vie de Napoleon", and began reading them together, and immediately felt that I had got hold of two rattling good things. These, with a more or les daily instalment of Sorel's "l'Europe et la Revolution Francais", keep me busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment