Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Tuesday 1 January 2019

New life?

Tuesday, January 1st., Trinity Hall Farm, Hockliffe, Beds.

Taking stock at age thirty three. I am told that today, technically, starts the new century. And a hundred years from now will start the new millennium. So much for my short span!
 
Last year I wrote three plays, a serial of 70,000 words ("The Grand Babylon Hotel"), the draft of my Staffordshire novel ("Anna Tellwright") and part of the final writing, and half a dozen short stories. I also wrote and published 196 articles of various lengths. I collected, revised, and wrote a preface for a series of my articles from the Academy, to be called "Fame and Fiction". It is to be published later this year.

And I  edited Woman magaxine until 30th. September when I resigned and came to live here in the country with my father, mother, and sister Tertia. I also advised Pearsons on 50 MSS books.

From April to the third week in December I was working almost continually at very high pressure, and had no energy to spare for this journal. I am taking it up again today in hope to incorporate it once more into my routine. There is a definite saving of time in dispensing with regular journal entries, but I find it is a useful activity to focus on my achievements, and it is pleasurable now and then to glance back. Though sometimes it is difficult to recall the person behind the words.

Since I came here, on top of work, I have been very much preoccupied and fretted in the superintendence of the repairs to this house. I consistently tell myself that I will never again work so hard, but in future will find time to read poetry regularly, to gather materials for a work on the fiction of the nineteenth century, and - ? - to study Latin.

I made £620 last year; more than ever I made in any previous year. This year, unless something goes wrong with my play "The Chancellor", I hope to make much more.

Today we were out earlyish for a walk. Few people about; probably in bed sleeping off the effects of over-indulgence in New Year celebrations. It was grey and quite cold. A sort of fine mist in the air, enough to feel on the skin, but not enough to make one wet. Everywhere very still. I liked to stop now and then just to enjoy the stillness, as if an invisible blanket had been laid over the world attenuating sound. Amusing incident when we passed through a dispersed flock of sheep whilst walking along a minor road. For some reason they gathered together and began to follow, right on our heels. An odd sensation. Presumably we were mistaken for farmers bringing food. Back home I have been browsing in old journals and imagining a successful future. Happy New Year!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment