Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Sunday 20 January 2019

Neuralgic

Tuesday, January 20th., Cadogan Square, London.

One of the main things at my age is to avoid strain - 'pushing forward' (as you do when you are in a taxi and are getting late for an appointment). Nearly all my life I have been keeping to a time programme, and I have been doing it until quite recently, and have carried programmes through in spite of neuralgia and such obstacles. I think that now this method results in less instead of more work.

On Sunday afternoon, after two hours work with Knoblock on "Mr. Prohack" in the morning (with neuralgia) I gave up the bit of rewriting that I had meant to do in the afternoon, and stayed in bed all afternoon, and of course felt much sronger. In fact, towards 6, I was really inclined to clear off some small oddments, including a 300 word appreciation of Thomas Hardy for Harpers, which I did, all right.  

Yesterday my scheme was to rewrite the end of Act 2 of "Prohack" in the morning. However, I had a sense of rush and strain even before breakfast, and so I became placid and gave myself all day to finish Act 2, and telephoned to Knoblock suggesting that he should put off our appointment tp proceed with Act 3 from 3 p.m. yesterday to 11 a.m. today. He agreed. After all he is not getting any younger himself. I finished the Act easily at 7 p.m. and in the meantime had read the whole of Johnson's little book on me, which isn't bad. The sense of strain had gone, and though I had neuralgia all day, I felt better, and had quite a fair night and began to do letters and oddments at 8 a.m. in good form. 

Dorothy is much on my mind and I find myself expecting letters at every post. I am often wondering what she is doing. Our correspondence is full of trivialities and gentle teasing which, on my part at least, does insufficient justice to how I feel. Am I being a stupid old fool? I am nearly 60 and she is 30 years my junior. I don't think she will tolerate the role of 'mistress', but there is no prospect of Marguerite agreeing to divorce, so she cannot be a 'wife'. The question is, if I were free to marry her, would I?

No comments:

Post a Comment