Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Monday 14 January 2019

Squinting about

Saturday, January 14th., Comarques, Thorpe-le-Soken.

Vintage postcard London, Roman Catholic Cathedral ...Wednesday evening I went into Westminster Cathedral, and saw how to use it again in my novel. Very cold day. Nice warm cathedral. Ugly chapels, detail invisible. A non-RC parson or two squinting about. Noise of a charwoman washing floor. Exceedingly few people. The at 10.10 either Prime or Tierce, don't know which. A few performers came in after a bell had been rung; took their seats and then the intoning begins; scarcely audible for a second or less. It 'steals' out. Words utterly incomprehensible. Outside, front of shop devoted to rosaries, crucifixes etc.

By yesterday Walpole's scheme for me to republish Jacob Tonson articles in volume had taken shape. I read through a lot of the stuff and found it enormously vivacious. I wish I could write with such life and vigour now. In fact I hated to leave it last night in order to dress to go to a ball given by 2nd First London R.G.A. at Weeley - "The Fields".

No comments:

Post a Comment