Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Tuesday 15 December 2020

Endless brooding

Tuesday, December 15th., Chiltern Court, London.
 
I have a tendency to nostalgia at this time of year. I suppose it is to do with the year nearing its end, and the short days, and the distant hope of Spring. And when I get nostalgic it is usually for France as I experienced it all those years ago. I never feel nostalgic about the Potteries!
 
When I lived in the Rue de Calais I never knew anything about the prodigiously genteel house of which I rented a fragment, except that a retired opera singer lived over my head, and a pianoforte professor at the Conservatoire somewhere under my feet. I never saw either of them, but I knew that the ex-opera singer received about a yard of bread every morning and about one and a half litres of milk. 
 
Every afternoon and sometimes in the evening a distant violin used to play, very badly, six bars - no more - of an air of Verdi's over and over again; never any other tune! The sound was too faint to annoy me, but it was the most melancholy thing I have ever heard. This phenomenon persisted for months, and I never discovered its origin, though I inquired again and again. Some interior, some existence of an infinite monotonous sadness was at hand, and yet hidden away from me, inviolate. Whenever I hear, or imagine I hear, that air now I am instantly in Paris, and as near being sentimental as ever I shall be.
 
My ambition had long been to inhabit the Rue d'Aumale - austere, silent, distinguished, icy and beautiful - and by hazard I did ultimately obtain a flat there, and so left the Rue de Calais. But I missed the undiscoverable and tragic violin of the Rue de Calais. To this day the souvenir of it will invariably fold me in a delicious spleen. The secret life of cities is a matter for endless brooding.
 
It is interesting to me that I deliberately 'broke' from Paris and went to live in the provinces, to see what they were like, to understand a little the fabric of the backbone of France. This coincided with my marriage. But I often desired to be back again in Paris, and of course, in the end, I went back. And then I had the delightful sensation of coming back to the city not as a starnger, but as one versed in its deviousness. I was able to take up at once the threads that I had dropped, or at least those compatible with a married state, without any of the drudgery and tedium incident to one's first social studies of a foreign capital. I was immediately at home, and I never felt more satisfaction in my citizenship of Paris than at this time. It was also at this period that I carried my Parisianism as far as I am ever likely to carry it.

No comments:

Post a Comment