Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Sunday 27 December 2020

Pestered

Sunday, December 27th., Cadogan Square, London.
 
Another Xmas more or less over with. Thank goodness! But today was another fine, clear winter day and I had a good walk before lunch. I am deep in "Imperial Palace" and got some ideas for the next chapter, which I am now keen to get on with.
 
Eugene Goossens is pestering me for a libretto for "Don Juan". I have had to tell him that, though I would like to oblige, I cannot turn aside from my novel to do anything else creative. I said that I hope to finish the novel in April, but frankly I think the summer is more likely. He tells me that an opera is not the same as a play! I think I knew that the convention of an opera is quite different from the convention of a play, but I didn't say anything, not wishing to alienate him. Also he wishes to change quite a lot and I am perfectly willing to adopt all his suggestions, but I must have time. For example he wants the opera to end with the death of Don Juan. There is no reason why it shouldn't, though I am personally not sure that it would be a good thing, but he knows better than I what is what. So I await his formal response. I hope he will be patient.

I am sleeping better at the moment which is surprising considering that my diet comprises mainly oatcakes and mince pies.

No comments:

Post a Comment