Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Saturday 5 December 2020

In a whirl

Sunday, December 5th., Waterloo Road, Burslem.
 
I happened to see Conrad and Hueffer's "Romance" at Frank's at lunch today , and I took it to read. I read about 20 pages after lunch, before the gas stove in the bedroom, but I doubt if I shall get much further in it. I cannot read in Burslem. All I can do is to go about and take notes which is, of course, as it should be. It would be a nonsense to have this opportunity to absorb the atmosphere and not to take it. With the new book growing in my mind I shall need as much information and impression as I can absorb. This absorption is not a conscious process, in fact quite the opposite. It is about opening oneself to impression.

My mind is in whirl all the time. I have only been here for 5 days and yet all Paris and Avon seems years off; I scarcely ever think of these places and my life there. Sometimes, by accident, I speak to myself or one of the children in French. Slept well last night, nearly 7 hours uninterrupted. The sanatogen cure which I began on Wednesday is already working. What a place Burslem is though, so dirty and downright. And self-satisfied. Marguerite is coming on Saturday. How she will cope I don't know - she may not recognise me by then as I revert to type.

No comments:

Post a Comment