Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Thursday 31 December 2020

Mixed emotions

Sunday, December 31st., Fulham Park Gardens, London.

Very cold. Hard frost overnight. Out early this morning. Walked along the river and through Bishop's Park. Ice under Putney Bridge. Glad to get in for a warm by the fire, a mince pie and some tea.

This year I have written 335,340 words, grand total. 228 articles and stories have actually been published. Quite satisfactory. One book of plays - "Polite Farces". I have written six or eight short stories not yet published or sold. Also the greater part of a 55,000 word serial - "Love and Life" - for Tillotsons, which begins publication about April next year. Also the whole draft (80,000 words) of my Staffordshire novel "Anna Tellwright" which I think to be my best writing so far.

My total earnings were £592 3s. 1d., of which sum I have yet to receive £72 10s.

Much of December has been spent with the Phillpotts' in Torquay. I correspond regularly with Emily who I like very much. A wife like her would suit me admirably, but such women are few and far between. Apparently Eden is not very well and I must admit to fantasising the other night, whilst lying awake, about how I would court and win Emily if she were 'free'. I think she would have me. But it is unlikely. They are soon to move to a large house in Torquay and I have no doubt that she will have it a picture in no time. I enjoy spending time with them, but sometimes it is a strain, emotionally.

2 comments:

  1. Would it be possible to include the year in the entry date? I’m really enjoying reading these blogs. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Not quite so simple as you might think. As an indicator, Comarques is 1913 - 1921; Cadogan Square is 1922 - 1930; Chiltern Court 1930 - 1931. Before 1913 more addresses and for shorter periods, but generally French addresses in the period 1903 - 1912. I decided not to put in dates from the start, for obscure reasons of my own, and I think I will stick to it. Glad you like it though!

      Delete