Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Wednesday 9 December 2020

Nostalgic

 Wednesday, December 9th., Cadogan Square, London.

Thinking about Paris as I often do. I was generally happy there and seemed set fair to become a Parisian, but it was not to be. For several years there had been gradually germinating in my mind the conviction that I should be compelled by some obscure instinct to return to England. I had a most disturbing suspicion that I was losing touch with England and that my literary work would soon begin to suffer accordingly. And one day I gave notice to my landlady, and then I began to get estimates for removing my furniture and books. And then I tried to sell to my landlady the fittings of the admirable bathroom which I had installed in her house, and she answered me that she had no desire for a bathroom in her house and would I take the fittings away?

And then I unhooked my pictures and packed my books. And lastly the removers came and turned what had been a home into a litter of dirty straw. And I saw the tail of the last van as it rounded the corner. And I gave up my keys so bright with use and definitely quitted the land where eating and love are understood, where art and learning are honoured, where women well-dressed and without illusions are not rare, where thrift flourishes, where politeness is practised,and where politics are shameful and grotesque.
 
I return merely as a visitor. I should probably have enjoyed myself more in France, only I prefer to live in England and regret France than to live in France and regret England. I think the permanent exile is a pathetic figure. I suppose I have a grim passion for England but I know why France is the darling of nations, and why I will always be thinking of Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment