Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Saturday 19 December 2020

Sneeped

Sunday, December 19th., George Street, London.

Here's a good story. A Captain Griffin, from Walsall, wounded nine times in the war, and then a prisoner in Germany. Was reported dead. After he returned to life, and came home, his solicitor among other bills forwarded the following: "To Memorial Service (fully choral) 3 guineas."

The last few days, having delivered the film, I have read through the first instalment of "Mr. Prohack", and been inspiring myself for the next instalment. Inspiration is certainly needed. The writing is workmanlike, but lacks a spark. I think that I am simply too tired, mentally, as a result of domestic conflict and too much work. Some sort of break is needed, perhaps a change of scene, or a sabbatical.

George Moore sent me his play, "The Coming of Gabrielle" in the edition de luxe. The idea is very ancient and the plot very clumsy; but there are bright distinguished things in the dialogue; it is readable without being fireworky. Rather like my stuff at the moment. I wrote back in a positive vein and reminded him that I consider him to be the 'father' of my Five Towns novels.

I gave permission to the Everyman Theatre to do "The Honeymoon". They did not consult me in any way about casting, scenery, or production. The first word I had from the theatre was 2 tickets for the first night. I returned them. In the first place I had a curious absence of all desire to go, and in the second place I thought it was a darned cheek to ignore me completely until the first night. The thing has been played in Harrogate and Manchester before the London production tomorrow. I only know of this from the papers. I don't know why this has put me out of sorts. Why should they consult me anyway? If they did, they would feel obliged to follow my advice and I don't feel that is worth much at the moment. I just feel sneeped!

No comments:

Post a Comment