Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Thursday 17 December 2020

Glorious past

Thursday, December 17th., Cadogan Square, London.

I have a guilty secret. Although I profess to have no interest in sport, and make a point of being unimpressed when some sporting event is brought to my attention, I always turn to the sporting pages of the newspaper when alone and cast my eyes over the football scores. In particular I like to see how Stoke City are doing, though I would never admit to knowledge of their league position. This is because they are my 'home' team and thus I have a tribal affiliation which cannot be shaken. In younger and less self-conscious days I was a regular attender at the Victoria Ground which at that time consisted of three open banks and a small wooden stand. The place was a sea of flat caps. Happy times!

These revelations arise from a walk I took a few days ago along the Fulham Road in Chelsea with a University man, when our way was impeded by the outpourings of thousands of enthusiasts from a certain famous football ground. Said the University man: "It's a pity they don't play football instead of watching it." I said nothing but thought much. First, men over 35 usually can't play football, for good reason. Second, men not past the football age play far more today than ever before. There are more clubs, there is more keenness and there is more skill. True, professionalism flourishes, but all professionals begin as amateurs and only out of the multitude of keen amateurs can professionalism sustain itself.. The huge crowds at big matches judge the game as experts, that is, as men who themselves play or have played.

The fact is, my University man had no case; he merely had prejudice. And this prejudice against the amusements and diversions and even the education of the mass of the people, though absurd, is still rather strong; moreover it finds undue editorial expression in many newspapers. Also the kinema is derided not because it is crude but because it is popular. The papers with vast circulations are derided because a lot of working people read them. Motor coaches are derided. Football is derided - but not golf (despite its professionalism); oh no!

They say that the working man is not what he was. I am glad of it, for he used to spend most of his leisure in being bored. They say he does not work as hard as he did. I say he does not work as long as he did, and a good thing too. When I was young I used to hear before dawn my fellow-citizens tramping in clogs to a beautiful twelve hour day in a factory, and I used to ride in buses whose conductors enjoyed a sixteen hour day. The glorious past!

I will not be taking any further walks with my University Man. 
 
All quiet here - good time to take a look at the sports pages!

No comments:

Post a Comment