Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Wednesday 2 December 2020

Happiness?

Wednesday, December 2nd., Chiltern Court, London.

I find that I have grown used to waking at least once every night. And there are advantages. For example getting into a warm bed and falling to sleep is undeniably a pleasure, so my pleasure is doubled compared to the average sleeper. And I sleep again in the afternoon to catch up, so that is three pleasurable experiences a day guaranteed! Also, it is peaceful in the middle of the night and having had a few hours sleep already one feels relaxed, unhurried, benign, contented. Often I will delay returning to bed to experience the pleasure of being awake when others are asleep. I read somewhere that in earlier times (Middle Ages?) it was common practice for people to rise in the night and then go back for a second sleep. I wonder why this stopped? Probably to do with the invention and adoption of efficient artificial lighting so people went to bed later and slept through. We may have lost something in the process. Additionally, I have some interesting thoughts in the night, especially when I am dropping off for my second sleep which usually takes a little longer than the first time.

Last night for example I was thinking about happiness; specifically as to whether money can buy happiness. The general idea seems to be not, but I am not sure. The instinct of mankind to obtain money, that is to improve his material condition, seems to me to be a sound one. Money is certainly not a handicap. Money will buy nearly everything except a clear conscience and a cheerful temperament. It will buy comfort. It will buy quite a lot of health. If it is used with skill it will buy love, genuine love. Crowds of rich men have been deeply and lastingly loved by gifted and beautiful women who would never have looked twice at them had they been poor men. Which, when you think it over, is quite natural.

If I have learnt anything from life, this is what I have learnt: the man who makes his chief objective the attainment of happiness is bound to fail in his endeavour and to die disillusioned. 

Happiness is a by-product, and there is not a vast deal of it anyway. It is a product of self-fulfillment, which is the most important thing in the world and not to be confused with success. Be content in the pursuit of self-fulfillment and enjoy the occasional experience of happiness when it comes your way.


No comments:

Post a Comment