Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Tuesday 12 January 2021

Dissatisfied

Tuesday, January 12th., Hotel Russie, Rome.

I began to revise recently written bits of "Raingo" at 7 a.m. 

We went to the Doria Gallery this morning. Badly hung pictures. Badly lighted. The galleries narrow and terribly over-decorated. The collectors seemed to have had a sure taste for the second rate. But there were several very fine Breughels, some small second rate Claudes and Titians, and a lot of filthy stuff. The Velasquez portrait of Pope Innocent X 'hung in lone spendour' was pretty good. Hard to understand some of these galleries. They seem to have the idea that if a painting is well known, or by a famous artist, then it presents itself. Quite the opposite is true.

Home at 4.10, had tea, and had written 1,000 words of "Raingo" before 6.30, although I was rather depressed about the general 'feel' of the end of the book. I fear people (discerning persons) may ask: "What is the book about?" and I mayn't be able to answer them. I don't know, articulately, what the 'idea' of the book is. It doesn't matter, I am just a bit dissatisfied with life. If asked I shall say: "It's about human nature; what else?"

I picked up a volume of Hardy's "Wessex Tales" last evening and ended up reading two stories: "The Three Strangers" and "The Withered Arm". They held me. Strange thing about Hardy's story-telling, sign of his genius I suppose, that the contrivances and coincidences of his plots are obvious when thought over later, but do not detract from the actual reading. At least not for me. I would have enjoyed a talk with him about his work, and could have had one I expect had I made an effort pre-war. I know he has read and enjoyed my novels. Too late now though.

No comments:

Post a Comment