Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Tuesday 5 January 2021

Interesting times

Tuesday, January 5th., Cadogan Square, London.

A time of change it seems. I am full of life and anticipation, though also working too hard, by which I mean trying to do too many things. My 'shopkeeper' novel is going well, and I have hopes that it will do something to restore my reputation amongst the literati.

Only three weeks since I moved to this rather noble thing in houses, but already I feel settled and content. I liked Comarques but it was inconvenient, as well as being expensive. This too will be expensive, but a little less so. Really I am glad to be back in London where I am most at home and where the potential for bachelor excitement is considerable.

I went to the first night of "Polly" at the Kingsway, and I ought not to have gone as it gave me a set-back, being out at night. It is the most prodigious success, but as a show it is not equal to "The Beggars's Opera". My niece is threatening to visit and is desirous to see it. She is rather an attractive young woman so I shall not mind. Speaking of attractive young women, I have met a certain Dorothy Cheston who seems much interested in me. She is an actress, blonde, good figure, lively intelligence if a little lightweight, young enough to be my daughter. I feel my blood rising as I write! I shall invite her to accompany me to a private dance to be given by Richmond Temple at the Savoy. That will certainly impress her and who knows where things will then proceed.


No comments:

Post a Comment