Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Monday 4 January 2021

Odd!

Wednesday, January 4th., Cadogan Square, London.

In the early brightness of yesterday morning fate led me to Downing Street, which is assuredly the oddest street in the world, at least in my experience. Everything in Downing Street is significant, save the official residence of the Prime Minister, which, with its three electric bells and its absurdly inadequate area steps, is merely comic. The way in which the vast pile of the Home Office frowns down upon that devoted comic house is symbolic of the empire of the permanent official over the elected of the people. Good job too. God knows what would happen if politicians had charge of things!

Today I corrected typescripts for one hour, and then walked up to Piccadilly Circus and back, thinking further over my scheme for a play for Ruth Draper. I got the scheme into order and wrote to Ruth about it immediately after lunch. I find that I can think best when I am in a street of shops now. I like more and more looking at shop windows. Bit odd that when I come to think about it. I suppose it is a bit like walking in the country, which I now do rarely, in that the eyes are occupied without really seeing, so the mind is free to work. I rarely remember details of my walks and it seems probable that properly alert pedestrians are constantly getting out of my way.

I couldn't get off to sleep this afternoon owing to the noise of workmen next door. I arose and did a further installment of my World-Today article, about the Riviera, writing it with zest and ferocity. I am reading "Peter Simple". It has apparently no form but is very good indeed otherwise. It does give a picture of naval life and its moral backbone is excellent. 

I was very gloomy this morning, reflecting that life ought to be give and take, but that I gave without taking. Especially in my relations with women, which have not been fortunate. However at night I was cheerful again. Odd!

No comments:

Post a Comment