Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Thursday 7 January 2021

Sightseeing

Thursday, January 7th., Hotel Excelsior, Naples.

We have been here for three weeks now and another week to go. The weather has been perfect. This hotel is on the edge of the Bay of Naples and Vesuvius sits opposite, about 10 miles off. It is 3,600 feet high but doesn't look it. I sat at my open window on Christmas morning (in fact every morning since we came here) and had breakfast in contemplation of Vesuvius, Sorrento, and Capri. That is something to think about for a boy from the Potteries! I was told the other evening by a visiting professor of some sort (American) that if Vesuvius erupts again, which it may well do, then the damage will be colossal because there has been so much unregulated building in the vicinity.

Naples, which I had not previously seen, meets with my approval. I don't reckon that Pompeii is so very great and I am sure that the Pompeians were a rotten lot, with second rate taste. But some of the frescoes are extremely risque, and taste isn't everything. I am looking out for a book of colour reproductions of the most 'interesting' art but no good so far. Interesting that almost anything can be shown if it is 'art' or 'historic', or especially both together. That is why we got away with so much with "Judith".

We have been out to Capri by motor launch. Good but unexciting, Better was a trip further south to a place called Paestum which I had no previous knowledge of. Wonderful Greek temples in a marvellous state of preservation. Also tombs with lovely frescoes. Wandered about by myself. Virtually had the place to myself. Memorable.

I am not looking forward to return to England, though it will be good to have access to my books and things again. I expect the weather will be dreadful. In the meantime I intend to soak self-indulgently in the sights, sounds, and even the smells of ancient Napoli.


No comments:

Post a Comment