Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Saturday 2 January 2021

Grumbles

Saturday, January 2nd., Hotel de Russie, Rome.
 
1,070 words of "Raingo" this morning 9 - 11 o'clock. Good effort. 
 
At 11.45 we went for a walk. Plenty of people about, mainly tourists. Sky cleared and the sun shone. Surprisingly warm in the direct sunshine. Walked as far as St. Peter's and entered the basilica which is huge; remarkably huge! It is a miracle in stone and I can't imagine how it was built. We both felt uncomfortably dwarfed and only got about half way to the altar area before turning back. Keen to get outside. I suppose the dwarfing is part of the purpose so that those who are vulnerable to impression are put into a frame of mind to believe that miracles can happen.

Called at American Express Co. to get some cash. Grumbling American woman, repeating grumbles, about not being served quickly at the teller's desk. If things don't go smoothly American women usually frown and change their sweet tone for a sour. I have noticed this before. Americans in general seem always to be in a hurry, as if they haven't enough hours in a day. Some of my self-help books sold well in America so perhaps I have contributed to this in my own small way?

I finished Baring's "Cat's Cradle" at 5.45 p.m. 720 big pages. Its curious fault is that it reads as if it really had happened: a report of actual events. I say fault but it may be that there is potential for a novel approach to fiction there somewhere; readers might be attracted to a book when they don't quite know if what they are reading is fiction or fact. It has taken me 14 days, about, to read. But I have only fitted it in between other things. Probably not a good use of my time but I won't grumble about it.

Going out to dinner. Passing a barber's shop. Vision of the barber standing quite away from the half-shaved customer and flourishing his razor in argument. Given the excitable nature of Italians it might be a risky business having a shave here.

No comments:

Post a Comment